The purpose of this blog is to act as a guide to help you add Google Analytics Annotations so that you can keep track of important business events.
Benefits of Adding Annotations
By utilising annotations, you can ensure that the decisions you are making are both justified and accurate. Events covers a vast array of subjects, and can affect different areas of your business, with so much to keep in mind, it’s important to make sure you stay in control and keep track of your schedule.
Annotations can also come in handy while you’re analysing data, as you can refer back to them to see what was happening that had an effect on your business. By having an awareness of this, you may be able to better interpret your data.
- Open Google Analytics
- You will need to click on the Google Analytics view
- Choose the view that you want to add your annotation to.
- If you haven’t added any views, or renamed the one you are currently on, then your view will appear as “All Web Site Data”.
- Go to the sidebar, look under reports, you will need to select “Audience” and then “Overview” – once you have done this, you will need to select a time frame which includes the date where you are going to include your annotation – you will then need to click “Apply”.
- Under the chart, you will need to click the arrow icon.
- You will now need to click “Create new annotation”, you will then need to choose the day your annotation is going to be logged in – you can do this by entering the annotation text and then clicking “Save”.
- Private Annotation – can only be seen on your Google Analytics account – members of your team will be unable to read it.
- Shared Annotation – available to anyone who has permission to access the Google Analytics view.
- Collaborate permissions – this is what is needed to have the ability to create annotations.
You have now successfully added your annotation – you will see a chart with a “Speech Bubble icon” – clicking on it will enable you to read the annotations you created.
If you’re interested in our future blogs, make sure to check us out on social media – we post new blogs every Friday.