Are you interested in how you can successfully prepare your business for A/B testing on your website?
Then it is key to make sure that you have implemented the right steps to achieve just that!
And to start it all off, it is important to add Google Optimize to your website and by following the steps outlined in this blog post you can find out exactly how to do that.
- To successfully follow this blog post you are going to need to have this Google Chrome extension installed: “Google Optimize”.
- By going through the stages outlined in this blog, you can ensure that your website has been thoroughly prepared for A/B testing which can help to get you on track for a website that helps to get better results and optimise current online content.
- You will have successfully been able to add Google Optimize to your website.
- The reason that it is so important to set up A/B testing is that it can help you to make effective changes to your website with data acting as your reasoning behind the alterations.
Getting Google Optimize Set Up
First things first, you need to ensure your browser is Google Chrome and start on this website, making sure that you have signed in with the relevant Google Account and then selected the option “Get Started”.
You’re going to need to go to the notifications settings and then select “Next” – once you’re able to see the account settings, you’re going to need to choose the relevant country, ensuring you’ve gone through the terms and conditions (read and agreed to them) and then select “Done”.
Turn your attention to the sidebar, you’re going to need to select “Link to Google Analytics” and then “Link Property” – ensuring that you choose the relevant property from the Google Analytics options.
Look through the views available with that specific property and choose the ones that you’re intending to connect up to Google Optimize.
You will see a prompt asking you to make sure that the snippet for Google Optimize has been added to your website, to do this successfully, make sure to select “Get Snippet”.
Now you’ll notice that a container ID has appeared (this is your Optimize ID) this is something which you are going to need to make a note of.
Using Google Tag Manager To Set Up Google Optimize
You should keep in mind that the stages that we outlining in this blog are ones you can complete without the need of changing any website code or contacting a developer.
If you do have access to your website’s code, you can add the relevant code to the site.
You’re going to need to select this website and then make sure that you have logged into the relevant Google account and chosen the correct container for the specific site that you are intending to set up Google Optimize on.
Here is the step by step instructions that you should follow to complete the next stages:
- Please select these options in the following order:
- “Tag Configuration”
- “Google Optimize”
- Here is when that Optimize ID from earlier on becomes useful, you’re going to need to input that ID and also click on the correct variable for the settings of Google Analytics
- Now make sure to give the tag a relevant name and then select “Save Tag”
- You’re going to need to select the right “Page View tag” for Google Analytics.
- Here are a group of instructions to follow:
- Select “Tag Configuration”
- “Advanced Settings”
- “Tag Sequencing”
- “Fire a tag before” – make sure this option is selected
- Choose the relevant tag for Google Optimize
- Look over to the sidebar and make sure to select “Overview” – if you are happy with the way that everything has been presented, you are going to need to make sure to select “Submit”.
- Cast your attention to this panel “Submission Configuration” – you will notice that you are able to add a version name and description, once you are happy with what you see, make sure to select “Publish”.
- You will now be shown an overview of all the changes that you have gone through and changed.
Steps To A Successful Verification
To start, you are going to need to select this website and ensure that you have logged in with the relevant Google account. Here are the steps that you are going to need to go through for a successful verification:
- You need to select the button “Create an experiment” and give it a relevant name.
- Look at the field for the URL, make sure to input the correct URL that you are intending to put through Google Optimize, before finally selecting “Create”.
- Finally, you are going to need to select the option for “Link To A Google Analytics View” and choose the relevant view from the specific Analytics account, and hit the “Finished” button and then “Save”
- You will now notice a message has popped up, just select “Run Diagnostics” to ensure everything on your set-up is as it should be.
- If all is well, then you should be able to see the success message appear.
If something does go wrong and an error message does appear that lets you know that Google Analytics couldn’t successfully be installed onto your site, then it is important to make sure that you don’t have anything in place which could be blocking it – i.e. adblockers and chrome or privacy extensions.
And… you’re done!
Congratulations! You have now successfully set Google Optimize up on your website which will prove to be great use to you when setting up A/B testing on your website.
If you found this blog post useful (we hope you did!) then make sure to check us out on social media so you can keep updated with our latest news and blog posts!