Do you find a lot of people going through your checkout?
But few actually complete a purchase?
If so, then you may be facing a serious case of cart-abandonment, in other words, people are going to your checkout, and then for some reason or another, they decide not to go through with the purchase.
So why not develop a cart-abandonment remarketing campaign using Facebook Ads, helping you to ensure those people come back to your site, and this time around, complete their purchase.
If you have a stable flow of website traffic, but not as many conversions as you’d like then this blog could serve as an ideal solution for you.
- It can help you to tailor an advert to people who you already know are interested in what you provide – meaning that you can focus on helping them to make the decision to buy from you.
- By setting up this campaign, you could help to boost the likelihood that people will return to your website and make a purchase.
- To follow this blog successfully, you will need to have access to:
- Google Tag Manager
- Facebook Ads Manager
- You’ll need to make sure you are using the older version of this ad manager user-interface.
- Before starting, make sure you have Facebook Pixel installed.
Custom Conversion Creation
To begin, you will need to make a custom conversion, in order to do this, you will need to make sure that you follow these steps:
- To start, you will need to be logged in to your Facebook Ads Manager Account.
- Find “Custom Conversions” on the top menu and then select “Create Custom Conversion”
- You will see the “URL Contains” field, this is where you will need to put the URL of the page you direct customers to after a purchase has been made.
- Now you will need to click on “Purchase”, you will find it in the conversion section.
- Make sure to give your conversion a name, there is also the option for you to give it a value, once you are happy with the changes that you have made, you will need to hit the “Create” button.
- A “No Activity Yet” notification will have appeared under “Status” – this will be your custom conversion.
- Now you need to make sure to test this custom conversion by going to the page you redirect customers to after they’ve made a purchase – this will then activate this custom conversion.
- Once you have done this, the Facebook Ads Manager page needs to be refreshed, and you should now see that the status is set to “Active”.
Remarketing Audience Creation
- First of all, you will need to go to the navigation menu at the top of your screen, and then select “Audiences”.
- Once you have done this, you will then need to select “Create Audience” and then “Custom Audience”
- You will then be shown a list of options, make sure to select “Website Traffic”.
- Now make sure that you have set it to include “People who visited specific webpages” rather than taking into account all visitors to the websites.
- You need to write down your checkout page’s URL beneath the URL field.
- Now you will need to select “Exclude” and then make sure to change the option from “All website visitors” to “People who visited specific web pages”
- Once again, you will need to make sure that you have inputted the URL of the page you redirect customers to after they make a purchase underneath the URL field.
- Now you will need to make sure that you give the audience a name after you’ve done this make sure to select “Create Audience”.
Campaign Assets Preparation
If you have never created a campaign for cart-abandonment, then we would suggest that you use a single image format.
- You will need to ensure you have at least 2 images for your campaign, ensure that they meet the following criteria:
- Pixel Dimensions: 1200 x 628
- Text must be less than 20% of the image
- Make sure that you have a minimum of 2 versions of writing for the advert.
- You can then mix and match the images and writing to create different ads.
Ad Campaign Creation
- To start, you need to select “Create Ad”, once you have done this, you need to make sure that your campaign objective is set to “Conversions”
- Now you need to set a “Campaign Name”, (it is advised to include “Remarketing” in the title) once you have done this, you will need to click on the “Continue” button.
- For the “Ad Set Name” field, you will need to make sure to include “Remarketing” and “Abandoned Cart”.
- If you look under “Conversion” you will see the “Website” option, click on it, and then select the custom conversion that you created prior.
- To select the custom audience that you created, search under “Custom Audiences”.
- There is also the option for you to categorise your audience even further, based on the following:
- Age Range
- To find “Automatic Placements”, you will see it under the heading “Placements”
- To set up the ad, you will need to organise how you want the ad to run:
- We’d advise making the ads run continuously.
- Set a budget between £10 and £20.
- You will need to ensure that the campaign is optimised for conversions.
- Ensure that you set a conversion window – in this case, it is advised to it for 1 day after clicking.
- You need to set a bid cap to ensure that your bid does not go above the amount of revenue made from the sale.
- Once you are happy with the changes you’ve made, you will need to select “Continue”
- For the “Ad Name” field, you need to make sure that you include the terms: “Remarketing” and “Abandoned Cart”
- From the dropdown menu, you will now need to make sure you choose the relevant Facebook page.
- At this point, you need to decide whether you are going to use the Facebook page for Instagram accounts or if you would prefer to link to an Instagram account.
- Now you will need to choose “Single Image” for your ad format, and then choose which image you intend to use for this ad.
- You will now need to input information relating to the advert, such as:
- News Feed Link Description
- Destination URL
- Once you have looked through all the variations of the ad, and are happy with the results, you will need to confirm the ad’s creation.
- Within Ads Manager, you will see the “Ads” tab – you will need to click on it.
- When the list of ads you have created becomes visible, you will need to “Duplicate” the newly formed ad.
- You will not have to make any alterations to the Ad Set or Campaign, if you’re looking to edit the Ad, then you will just need repeat steps 10-14, this will allow you to create a new ad variation.
- Now you just need to make sure that you continue to replicate the ad until you have successfully added all the variations.
And.. you’re done!
Now you have successfully created and set up a remarketing campaign for cart-abandonment using Facebook Ads.
We hope that you found this blog useful and appreciate you reading.
Make sure to check us out on social media, that way you’ll know when the next blog is on its way!
Get in touch!
The Old Pumping Station,
Great Northern Terrace,